A chipped tooth is one of those niggling cosmetic dental issues that can do damage to your confidence, self-esteem and smile. There are a number of reasons as to why this could happen; physical accidents, teeth grinding during sleep or through incidents in contact sports. Some cracks can be immediately obvious, especially if a chip has occurred to the front teeth. Chipped teeth can lead to discomfort during mouth functioning activities such as eating and biting. Chips may also get worse over time and divide into two parts.
There are a variety of treatments that assist with the repairing a chipped tooth. Let’s take a look at the best cosmetic treatments for chipped teeth.
THE BEST TREATMENTS
- Porcelain Veneers – Porcelain veneers are thin-shaped shells that fit on the contours of your front teeth to protect from any further damage and transform your smile. Chips and cracks are unnoticeable when veneers are fitted, transforming confidence in your smile.
- Dental Fillings – Gaps can appear in teeth caused by cracks and dental fillings are the best place to cover those cracks. The dentist can also smoothen the crack with a coloured filling.
- Dental Crowns – A crown, or a cap, can be placed on top of the chipped tooth to protect it from further damage.
- Dental Bonding – Bonding involves a composite-resin being applied to one or more chipped teeth.
In the event of a chip, consult the dentist as soon as possible to determine the best cosmetic treatment. Depending on the severity of the crack, the dentist will perform an examination of the chipped teeth to determine the best form of treatment.
ADVICE TO AVOID FUTURE CHIPS IN TEETH
When an unfortunate accident occurs, it is near-on impossible to avoid the impact that may occur on your teeth. However, there are solutions to make sure that more protection is applied to teeth during future daily activity.
- Mouthguards – Mouthguards are recommended particularly when participating in physical contact sports. Mouthguards also have their own kind to use when sleeping, to protect the teeth from grinding. The dentist can recommend the best mouthguard to suit your needs.
- Food Intake – The more solid foods you eat, the harder the pressure the tooth falls under. Consider eating softer foods such as vegetables and potato which has minimal impact on teeth.
- Regularly Rinse – Rinse the mouth regularly, particularly after a heavy meal. Sometimes, debris can get stuck in the teeth. There is a likely chance the tooth can chip away in time.
Why not read here to learn of other cosmetic treatments that can boost your confidence?
Chips in teeth can occur at any time unexpectedly. It is recommended that a dentist is consulted as soon as it is noticed. However, you want to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Therefore, the remedies above are worthwhile options to keep the edges of your teeth as a straight as possible.
If your tooth is chipped and you’re looking for the best solution? Ashfield Family Dental offers a variety of cosmetic treatments to restore straight edges on your teeth to restore your smile. Contact us now to book an appointment with us.